"Learning is as much an art as teaching."B.K.S. Iyengar
Sri Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar pioneered the art of teaching yoga through his practice of over sixty years. The most renowned yoga master of our time, he has popularized yoga both in the east and west through his innovative teachings and his definitive classical books, Light on Yoga, Light on Pranayama, Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, and other works.
The Iyengar method, an inspired and motivated approach to teaching, is clear and precise, guiding the student on a sure path of practice. Special focus is placed on correcting alignment, developing strength, flexibility, balance, coordination, and stamina. Poses are individualized to each person's body type and special needs through the expert instruction or use of props designed by B.K.S. Iyengar.
Iyengar Yoga is meditation in action. The self is explored through discovery and release of tensions. As practice continues a student's ability to relax and concentrate improves markedly and inner awareness is enhanced.
The B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Institute of Los Angeles (The Institute) and the B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Institute of La Mesa (IYILM) are pleased to present a three year comprehensive Yoga Training Program created with direct input and continuous guidance from Sri Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar.
Established in 1992, this unique program is designed to meet the needs of yoga students who wish to deepen their experience and comprehension of Iyengar Yoga, as well as for those who envision teaching or who already teach yoga. Serious students and teachers work together sharing their experience, fostering a friendly and inclusive yoga community.
The program offers studies with some of the world's best teachers, along with a complete curriculum encompassing over 400 hours of training. There are over 800 certified Iyengar Yoga teachers in the U.S.A. who go through years of training before presentation for certification. This program provides the student with a strong base for this process.
- Ongoing personal yoga practice program
- The fundamentals of asanas and pranayamas (posture and breath)
- Anatomy and physiology, including as it pertains to yoga
- Practice and principles of teaching asanas and pranayamas
- Yoga history, philosophy and ethics
- Basic adjustments and use of props
- Basic therapeutics — special issues
- Ayurveda and yoga
- Over 500 hours of training at either
- Four Weekend Workshops per year with Manouso Manos
- Residential Intensive with Program Teachers
- Final Third Year Retreat with Program Teachers
Both the Iyengar Institute of Los Angeles and the Iyengar Institute of La Mesa are state-of-the-art facilities, containing all yoga props for the students' use, while providing a clean and comfortable yoga practice environment.
- Applicants should have practiced Iyengar Yoga for at least three years with a certified Iyengar Yoga teacher.
- Applicants should know the Sanskrit names of all asanas on the Introductory Syllabus.
- IYT Program is designed to provide teaching skills.
- Applicants should know how to do the asanas on the Introductory Syllabus.
- Students must be members of IYALA or IYACSR.
- It is not appropriate for pregnant women to participate in the program.
The Iyengar Yoga Training Program prepares teachers for the Introductory level certification assessment. Certified Iyengar Yoga Teachers are asked to teach and practice only Iyengar Yoga. As a student in this program you are also required to only study Iyengar Yoga. Only Certified Iyengar Yoga teachers are permitted to use the Iyengar name in labeling their classes and in advertising.
Registration for the Training Program, in person or by mail, must be completed by December 15 of each year. Acceptance into the program is based on your application information and a two hour group practice session.
The Practice Session will be on Sat Dec 17, 2016 from 4:30-6:30 at the BKS Iyengar Yoga Institute of Los Angeles.
The addresses are:
Training Program Coordinator B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Institute of Los Angeles (The Institute) 1835 S La Cienega Blvd Ste 240 Los Angeles CA 90035 (310) 558-8212
Training Program Coordinator B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Institute of La Mesa (IYILM) 8285 La Mesa Blvd., Ste C La Mesa CA 91942 (619) 469-9642
The ITP program fees are $3000/year. There is a $25.00 non-refundable application fee. Make check payable to "Iyengar Yoga Training Program". Students in need of financial assistance may contact the program coordinator to discuss alternative financial arrangements.
On typewritten paper, please list all the requested information and answers to the questions below. Include the questions in your application. Submit to the appropriate address (Los Angeles or San Diego) by December 15. Date and sign your document and include a $25.00 non-refundable fee in the form of personal check or money order. Do not send cash through the mail. At this point in time, we are unable to accept applications online.
- Identifying Information — Your name, address, email, phone numbers, age, gender, place of birth, date of birth, marital status, and children's names.
- Passport Photo
- Letter of Recommendation from your Iyengar Yoga Teacher.
- Formal Education — School name, years attended and degrees.
- Work Experience — Dates, employer, location, position.
- Your Health — Special issues or physical disabilities (e.g., heart problems, high or low blood pressure, diabetes, neck, back or knee problems); treatments or medications for any of the conditions.
- Yoga Information
- Length of time studying and practicing the Iyengar method of hatha yoga and the names of teachers with whom you have studied. (Note: To begin the Training Program, you must have completed two years of practice in the Iyengar method, unless an Iyengar teacher is not available in your area or permission is obtained from the program coordinator.)
- Are you now practicing all the standing poses as taught in the Iyengar method of yoga?
- Please briefly describe any training you have had in the fields of anatomy or physiology (e.g., where you studied, for how long, in what year). Include copies of transcripts if possible.
- Describe any other yoga experience. Include which system, specific teachers, length of time, etc. Please relate any teaching experience you have, yoga or other. Briefly describe growth related disciplines you have been or are presently involved with.
- Have you studied at RIMYI in Pune? If so, please give dates and type of classes (intensives, general, or medical classes).
- Have you participated in other Iyengar teacher training programs? If so, please list year and place.
- Have you ever attended an Iyengar Yoga Convention? If so, please list year and place.
- Please describe at length your purpose in attending this yoga training program.
100% refund, less $50.00 processing fee if student cancels at least two weeks prior to orientation. Full tuition is required to be paid at the beginning of the program year.
The faculty of the program is a talented, popular and experienced group of international and local certified Iyengar Yoga teachers with high-level certification. All maintain strong personal practices and developed teaching skills. They are active in the yoga community and continue their ongoing studies in yoga with B.K.S. Iyengar and his family on a regular basis in Pune, India.
Manouso Manos, one of the world's outstanding exponents of Iyengar Yoga, provides an overview for the program. Based in San Francisco at the Abode of Iyengar Yoga, he is one of the most capable and experienced of the senior Iyengar Yoga teachers in the U.S. Since 1976, he has made numerous trips to India to study with Sri B.K.S. Iyengar. After twenty-five plus years of personal practice, his understanding and insights of Iyengar Yoga are transmitted with authenticity and precision. His humor, compassion and sensitivity shine through as his dynamic and challenging teaching style moves you beyond your perceived limits.
Gloria Goldberg has taught Iyengar Yoga since 1980 and has been a Certified Iyengar Yoga teacher since 1987. While director of the B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Institute in Los Angeles, she recognized the need for a formal teacher training program. With the approval and guidance of B.K.S. Iyengar, she founded the program in 1992. Gloria is director and co-curriculum coordinator of the program. She is the co-director and teaches at the B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Institute of La Mesa. Gloria served as President of the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States (IYNAUS) and as a board member of the Iyengar Yoga Association of Southern California (IYASC).
Diane Gysbers has been teaching Iyengar Yoga since 1991. As a member of the first graduating class of this program, she provides insight into student's progress. Diane teaches at her studio in Venice and at the B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Institute in Los Angeles where she runs the prenatal yoga program. Diane has served as Treasurer of IYASC.
Marla Apt has traveled to India numerous times for research and yoga studies, and in 1996 spent a year in India studying at RIMYI in Pune. She continues to study with the Iyengar family on an annual basis. Marla is a graduate of the Southern California Iyengar Yoga Training Program and has served as President of the Iyengar Yoga National (IYNAUS) and Southern California Associations. She has been involved with research studies at UCLA on yoga for various medical conditions and is a writer contributor to Yoga Journal magazine.